- New Philips LightVibes® effects synced with content on screen
- Technology can extend the excitement of a concert to the theater, making music fans feel like they are attending a live event
- New collaboration reinforces Philips leadership in connected lighting, extending it from homes and cities to the silver screen
Royal Philips (NYSE: PHG, AEX: PHIA), the global leader in lighting, is collaborating with Universal Music Enterprises, a division of UMG, the world’s leading music company, to make iconic concert films available in the immersive LightVibes format. LightVibes, developed by Philips, adds LED lighting throughout the movie theater which is synced with media content to create a fully-engaging experience. Concert films become life-like, movies become more absorbing and pre-show programming becomes more engaging.
The collaboration is set to be officially launched at CinemaCon 2015 in Las Vegas (20-23 April). Philips, together with Universal Music Group (UMG), will demonstrate LightVibes during the tradeshow starting from Tuesday April 21st
The multi-screen technology delivers compelling, subtle ambient lighting to every viewer’s peripheral field of vision, enhancing musical performances and events – as well as feature films, pre-show programming and advertising. LightVibes delivers true immersive theater that increases the impact of on-screen content, while bringing new capabilities to cinematographers and others in the creative community.
As part of the collaboration, theaters that install LightVibes can receive access to an ongoing slate of superstar concert titles from UMG. Titles initially featured include historic concerts from Alice Cooper, The Doors, Dream Theatre, Morrissey, Paul McCartney and Wings, Peter Gabriel, Queen and The Rolling Stones. Both companies will explore promotional activity such as local market events to support key releases.
Bruce Resnikoff, President/CEO, Universal Music Enterprises said, “We are very excited to work with Philips on LightVibes to help unlock the potential of their technology. We believe this will enhance the theater experience for both audiences and theater owners alike and add realism to the movie concert technology transforms theater experience by adding immersive lighting experience. We look forward to bringing our iconic music catalog to the big screen in HD picture quality and high-quality sound – fully enhanced with the life-like imagery and sound provided by LightVibes.”
Niels Van Duinen, General Manager of Philips LightVibes said, “With this collaboration, cinema operators get the best of both worlds: Access to UMG’s high-profile concerts, drawn from the broadest catalog of music in the industry, combined with an immersive LightVibes experience that will keep audiences coming back for more.”
We’re setting the pace in connected lighting for entertainment, whether it’s syncing home lighting with music, movies and TV series or syncing the lighting of an iconic building to music,” added Van Duinen.
“Now we’re bringing our technology to the silver screen.”
1. Alice Cooper Super Dooper Alice Cooper
2. The Doors Live at the Bowl '68
3. Dream Theater Live at Luna Park
4. Morrissey 25: Live
5. Paul McCartney and Wings Rockshow: Wings Over America 1982
6. Peter Gabriel New Blood Live
7. Peter Gabriel Back to Front: So Live
8. Queen Hungarian Rhapsody: Queen Live in Budapest
9. Queen Rock Montreal
10. Rolling Stones Sweet Summer Sun Hyde Park 2013
11. Rolling Stones Ladies and Gentlemen
12. Rolling Stones Some Girls: Live in Texas